VIII. Aṭṭhaka Nipāta
IV. Dāna Vagga
The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha
VIII. The Book of the Eights
Translated from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
© 2012 Bhikkhu Bodhi
Boston, MA 02115
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Based on a work at http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/numerical-discourses-buddha
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.wisdompubs.org/terms-use.
(1) Having insulted [the recipient], one gives a gift.
(2) One gives a gift from fear.
(3) One gives a gift, [thinking]:
'He gave to me.'
(4) One gives a gift, [thinking]:
'He will give to me.'
(5) One gives a gift, [thinking]:
'Giving is good.'
(6) One gives a gift, [thinking]:
'I cook; these people do not cook.
It isn't right that I who cook should not give to those who do not cook.'
(7) One gives a gift, [thinking]:
'Because I have given this gift, I will gain a good reputation.'
(8) One gives a gift for the purpose of ornamenting the mind, equipping the mind."